We are trying to bring our school year to an end and today was just a battle. Work that should have taken minutes took hours. It was as if on this morning everything MissThang has ever learned just fell out of her head and we had to start at the beginning.
Because I put MissThang and Little Man to bed at the same time, she often gets to watch a movie since she is older. Tonight that was NOT going to happen and she knew it.
Yesterday I had picked up a small chocolate cake but she also lost the chance for a special dessert tonight.
After dinner tonight, I sent her to my room for her shower and just hoped that she was done testing her boundaries. While she showered, I changed Little Man, gave him his milk and we read a book before carrying him up to bed. Once I got him tucked in, I walked into my room to make sure she was done with her shower. What I saw instead was that she was in fact DONE testing her boundaries, for the day.
She had made my bed.
She cleared off all the books and papers that have become my sleeping companions. She lined the pillows up just so.
She came in and told me the sweetest words... "Mom, I know my actions today made me not deserve a movie or a special treat, but for putting up with my actions today you deserve to have your bed made."
In that moment I had a decision to make. Do I take her down and chat with her over cake and milk or do I tell her Thank you and that I am sorry she made poor choices today. I thought about all the laundry currently needing folding and put away. I thought about all the toys needing to be picked up. I wondered if she would feel led to do those things if she knew they would get her consequences changed.
She went to bed with no cake and no movie but after some time talking to me she sleeps knowing tomorrow is another day.
Love,
Cara
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment